Parents and Carers
Uniform can be purchased on-line from:
- Trutex Online (using the code LEA00322SD) www.trutexdirect.com
Uniform can be purchased from the following retailers:
- Trutex, 79 Northgate, Wakefield, WF1 3BX. Telephone: 01924 299820
- Rawcliffes, 18 Crackenedge Lane, Dewsbury, WF13 1PU. Telephone: 01924 465510
Please note that a number of other retailers in the local area may try to sell unofficial Horbury Academy uniform. This includes supermarkets and high street shops that have a ‘school uniform’ section. Due to these circumstances, we would advise you not to buy from these retailers as the garments have not been quality assured by the Academy, and may not conform to our uniform standards.
Uniform Policy 2019-2020
Horbury Academy believes that students should be smartly dressed. We expect all our students will attend wearing clean Academy uniform. We believe that a uniform gives students a pride in their appearance and a sense of belonging to the Academy. Horbury Academy is a place of learning and it is important that students recognise the need for appropriate business dress.
The basic principles are:
- Blazers with the Academy logo are compulsory wear within the Academy. No other jumpers/ hooded tops/sweatshirts can be worn on the Academy site nor can such items be worn instead of a coat. In warm weather conditions, blazers will be permitted to be removed at the Principal’s discretion.
- All skirts must be Horbury Academy official uniform, which have our castle logo. No other skirts may be worn. Skirts must be plain black A-line, of modest length, no more than 5cm above the knee and not rolled over at the top or tied at the back.
- Trousers must be black, full length with no pattern and should conform to traditional style uniform and not be “fashion items”. Trousers in the style of jeans, leggings, chino, jeggings or cropped, flared or skinny legs are not acceptable. Denim, stretch or cord material trousers are also not acceptable.
- In inclement or cold weather, a dark-coloured outdoor coat may be worn to come to the Academy but not inside the building. No scarves or gloves should be worn in the building.
- Top buttons of shirts should be fastened at all times and all shirts must be tucked in to their skirts or trousers.
- Ties need to be clearly worn correctly; fastened to the shirt at the collar.
- No baseball caps are allowed anywhere on the Academy site and no other hats should be worn inside. (Students with a medical condition may wear a plain black baseball cap by arrangement only).
- Students are not allowed to wear denim items such as jackets, denim trousers/jeans or skirts anywhere on our site.
- Black low heeled sensible school shoes should be worn. Black trainers and fashion boots such as Uggs/Timberland/Vans/Converse are unacceptable. For safety reasons open-toed shoes, very small or stiletto-type heels, platform soles or backless shoes are not allowed. Trainers may only be worn if a doctor’s note has been provided, these should be black. A note from home will not be accepted.
- Discrete make-up is allowed. Students will be asked to remove make-up deemed to be inappropriate or excessive. This includes nail varnish and false nails. Nails must also be kept at a short length. Banned make-up includes false or extended eyelashes, sculpted or highly defined eyebrows, lipstick and contouring.
- Jewellery is not allowed. The only exception is one watch that is not a smart watch. Body, mouth and facial piercings are not allowed. For health and safety reasons students will not be allowed to wear any other jewellery items. Parents are advised that any valuable items worn are at the owner’s risk and that the Academy takes no responsibility for the loss of any valuable items.
- Extreme hairstyles or colouring are not allowed and will be measured by what is appropriate in an Academy environment. (This includes shaved patterns, excessively short hair, or hair dyed in un-natural colours e.g. bright red / blue / green. If in doubt please ask prior to a change of hairstyle).
Uniform checks take place every morning as students arrive at the Academy. Any student wearing items that do not conform to policy are asked to change into the Academy’s skirts/trousers. Students in non-regulation shoes/trainers are issued black shoes to wear instead. Students will be instructed to have their shirts tucked in and must not have their blazer sleeves rolled or pushed up.
Please note: Horbury Academy will reserve the right to ask a child to go home and change his/her uniform if it does not fulfil the criteria in this policy (subject to parental permission). In addition failure to adhere to our uniform expectations can result in students being withdrawn from lessons until the issue is resolved.
Uniform for Students in Years 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Black uniform blazer with Horbury Academy logo.
- Plain white fitted blouse/shirt either long or short sleeved with a collar, which must be worn with an Academy tie (clip-on).
- Black uniform skirt with Horbury Academy logo or black trousers.
- Black or white socks or thick tights.
- A black hijab may be worn.
- Black V-necked jumper with Horbury Academy logo. (Logo jumpers may only be worn in addition to blazers, not instead of).
- Black low heeled sensible and sturdy school shoes (not trainers or boots).
- Academy Tie (clip on) with House colours:
Blue = Europe House
Red = Asia House
Yellow = America House
Green = Africa House.
Uniform for Students in Year 11
As above, with the following difference:
- Year 11 Academy Tie (clip on).
Student PE Kit and Sportswear
The following is compulsory for all students in Years 7 – 11:
- Maroon/cyclone blue sports polo shirt with academy logo.
- Navy shorts/skort or plain black or navy sports leggings.
- Maroon knee socks with two sky blue stripes, or plain navy/black short sports socks with leggings/tracksuit bottoms.
- Trainers that are suitable for indoor and outdoor environments.
- Sport specific footwear such as rugby boots, astro shoes, running spikes (optional).
- Base layer skin in navy or black.
- Traditional style cuffed tracksuit bottoms or performance fit slim athletic training pants in plain navy or black.
- Horbury Academy maroon/cyclone blue hooded top with logo.
- A towel for alternative weather.
Optional items recommended for football/rugby/hockey:
- Shin pads.
- Gum shield.
All students must adhere to the academy rules as below:
- If a student is unable to take part practically in PE due to a medical reason, written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this. Students will be given an alternative learning task such as officiating or analysing team performance. They will still be required to get changed into their full PE kit.
- The practical work in Dance/Gymnastic lessons is done in bare feet, unless there is a medical reason which requires the student to work in trainers. Written confirmation from a parent/carer is required to support this.
- All kit must be clearly labelled with a student’s full name.
- Should a student forget their PE kit, they will be expected to change into a PE kit provided by the academy for the purpose of that lesson.